Monday, September 13, 2010

Emerald Isle

The bus ride up to NI was very pleasant. Comfortable seats, not at all crowded. Got a few zzzs on the way. In the meantime the scenery was lovely. As soon as I figure out how to get some pictures dl'd I'll post them. 

Around Dublin the landscape is very green and pretty flat. Reminded me of Ohio, actually. Lots of fields broken up by hedgerows. Sheep, cattle, people driving on the wrong side, etc. Further to the north and into the Ulster the land remained green but got hillier. More like western Maryland and central PA. We had all been snoozing a bit, but Dad first noticed we were in the North, because there were Union Jacks flying and the signs were only in English, no Gaelic. Sheep, cattle, and reverse drivers also continued.

We were dropped off in Hillsborough, a lovely, quaint town with lots of wee shops and some pretty steep hills, oddly enough. (I think the name comes from the town founders, the Hill family, but whatever.) We were in front of the Parish Church, which looks old and well kept. Unfortunately, we had no idea where to meet the fellow from the car hire. Also unfortunately, my phone was not getting any signal at all. Dad's was, though, so we called. Apparently, we got off the bus sooner than they expected, but it was only a few miles difference, and the young man was soon there. I only happened to notice a car sitting across the street with a wee, green Enterprise sticker, or we might all be standing about there still. At any rate, we got loaded into the car and made our way up to the car hire office. Did all the paper work, got a map to get back, and then it was up to me.

Jacob and I were talking about his driving on the way into church yesterday. I referred to him as a novice to which he took some offense. I told him I just meant he was in training and not licensed yet. He allowed as how that was okay, though he still thought he was a little higher up the ladder.

I felt like a total beginner today! Everything is wrong about driving on the left! Wrong seat. Wrong side for the gear shift. Wrong way traffic coming the wrong way. Fortunately the pedals are "correct." Also, the signs are all weird - numbers in big red circles for speed limits. I'm glad I thought to ask if it was MPH or KmPH - in the North it's MPH.

Driving was a brand new experience this way. What I usually do without a second thought required my full attention and a lot of concentration. I felt like I was aiming more than steering. Only ran over one curb to the left and only made Dad and Clare yell once that I was too close on that side, so I guess I'm doing alright, but I'm taking big, deep breaths before I start and when I park. Oh, yeah, had to parallel park on the right side of the road, which is to say, against oncoming traffic, when we went for dinner. THAT was fun, let me tell you! Deep breath.... and one more..... okay.

The weather has been overcast from this morning and raining since this afternoon. Really strong wind this afternoon to go with it, although there was mostly sleeping through that. Temperature has been hovering around 18C, down to 17 tonight at dinner time. C x 9/5 +32 = F.

For dinner we went to a pub and restaurant called the Parson's Nose. Lovely bar with a few tables and coal fireplace downstairs. Several rooms with old woodwork and such for dinner upstairs. Dad and I had venison and leeks in a pie, with seasonal vegetables and "champ" - mashed potatoes with green onions. All very tasty! Clare had fish -- cod, I think -- on a bed of risotto with butternut squash. Looked yummy, too. All had a pint of Belfast Lager, which I found to be clean and flavorful, especially compared to American lagers. Speaking of which, Bud was on the menu. Really can't imagine why the land that gives us Guinness would even offer Bud, but it's a strange world.

Technologically, I am challenged here. I decided not to bring the 17" lappie. Got too much stuff as it is already. I am thankful that Dad brought his MacBook, though, on which I am writing this entry. My iPod doesn't pick up the wifi signal here at the guest house, so that's a bummer. As I mentioned, my global phone that I am renting for this trip especially also doesn't pick up any signal. Dad's identical phone works just fine. Hurrumph. Emailed Verizon about that to see what's up. So for now, it's a camera. I guess I'll just have to work through the DTs without my digital fix.

Tomorrow, we will meet George H. who lives not far from here. He and his wife Irene were in Butler a few years back looking for Douthett relatives and were directed to Dad at the store! He took them to several of the sites we went to see a couple weeks ago, like the Brownsdale cemetery and the old family farm. Now they get to return the favor. George has been doing some research here. He found a house that belonged to our Anderson family, from which they emigrated in about 1833 in Derryboy, down the road in Co. Down. So we'll have lunch with George, plan what we might see, go see what we might, then have a meal with Irene when she is off from work. Sounds like a great start to the Irish ground campaign. Hoping for better weather, but not counting on it. Looks like rain on and off for the next couple of days. It is what it is.

Just watched a BBC weather video about the latest hurricane in the Atlantic, Igor, pronounced "EYE-gor"as in Marty Feldman's character from Young Frankenstein. I lolled.

Enough for now. Stay subscribed for pictures and more updates!

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBx8JNarOlg&feature=related

    Sorry. But you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, what I mentioned was more this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaPZZJVDx6Y&feature=related

    ReplyDelete