Friday, August 6, 2010

This is hard work!

Well, since going off the clock I've been mostly sitting at my computer, not unlike spending time at the office. I've been working on:
  • flight arrangements for New Mexico, 
  • car rental for same, 
  • flight arrangements for me to and from UK, 
  • flight arrangements for Molly to and from UK, 
  • travel for Dad, Clare, and me from Dublin to Belfast, 
  • flight arrangements for Dad, Clare, and me from Belfast to Scotland, 
  • car rental for Belfast, 
  • housing accommodations for N. Ireland, 
  • and making sure we have phones that work over there.
I know some of you might think I should have had that done a long time ago. Well, I didn't. But now most of it is done, so whatever. It's been crazy trying to figure it all out, though. Dad and Clare are coming from Pittsburgh, Molly and I from DC, but with three different itineraries. Dad and Clare and I are going over together, but not coming back together. Molly is coming later and leaving earlier, but I had to get us all to Aberdeen at about the same time. Then there's the whole public transit stuff. Phew! It's exhausting.

Besides that, I've been doing genealogical research on www.ancestry.com, looking for Douthetts as far back as we can go. So far I haven't gotten past Joseph Douthett, the first of our line we know of who came from Ireland. He apparently was born in Armagh, N. Ireland, in 1745, got married to Rosanna Rea and had some babies there before coming across. Son Benjamin was apparently born in 1765, also in Armagh, so they didn't come over until after that, any way. Records have Joseph and family coming to Butler Co. PA in 1799 or 1800 from Washington Co. PA. I haven't found any evidence of him in Washington Co., although I did find some reference to some Douthetts in Washington Township of Allegany Co. about that time.

I found also a family history for a different branch of Douthetts wherein the author outlines a broader history of the name going back to the Renaissance! Unfortunately, there is no source material or reference to follow up and prove it. Still, very exciting. In fact, it's been so exciting, I was up until 3:00 two nights running, following various links and lines and whatnot all.

So all in all there is progress in the preparations, but the relaxing? That still needs some work.

Will try to write again tomorrow. In the mean time, stay subscribed!

2 comments: